Tuesday, February 28, 2017

I've been stringing along with 10 quilting friends.
I put out a call for help with a string quilt 
in greens and blues and neutrals.
A week ago we gathered to put it together,
sewing blocks from a pile of strings.
The blocks finish at 5.5 inches.
It has a basket weave layout of 11 by 15 blocks
with an interior border of dark blue blocks.


Here's a test layout.
I've moved around some blocks so there are no dark bits
touching the border.

Here's a view of it sewn together.
A week later it is basted and ready to quilt.
Stay posted!

11 comments:

Dolly said...

That's wonderful ! I love a layout that gives you the look of a border without having to make one separately !

And the blues are divine !

Toni Macomb said...

Whoa! I say as I smack my forehead with my hand. I've never thought about putting a quilt together in such a way that you get the border look. Thank you! I do about two charity quilts a month and seldom do borders. I love this look tho'. Cheers! Toni

Linda said...

Great quilt layout. Love your idea of making an inner border from blue blocks. Works extremely well.

Paulette said...

What a cool quilt! I love the layout with the dark blue string border. Great collaborative work!

margaret said...

looks great can`t beat a quilt of scraps

Jeanne said...

I like the string border - very clever!

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Love your rich blue border! This quilt makes me want to run to my machine and sew, sew, sew!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Awesome top -- group efforts like this are SO good.

Mary Marcotte said...

I've been thinking of starting a string quilt for a little while now, but there's also a row quilt that's been calling me, and I have so many scraps to deal with that they need to be put in a quilt. Who knows what it will be? If it ends up the string quilt, your quilt is a great source of ideas! That blue border!

beth s said...

Wow! This is SUCH a great quilt! Love it.

Carol E. said...

Ooooh, I love it!